Contest Rule Book And Official Theme Book
The contest rule book was updated for the 2020-2021 contest year and is probably one of the most important documents on this website. Every student, teacher, and parent will benefit from studying this guide provided by the National History Day organization.
The Theme Book is the authoritative guide (pdf) provided by NHD and contains almost everything you need to know about National History Day and the 2021 Theme: “Communication in History: The Key to Understanding.”
NEW! Teacher Video Library
Videos of varying length that teachers can either share with their students or use in class on everything from choosing a topic, to research tips, to category specific dos and don’ts!
These two worksheets may be used to help guide your students and their projects. Add deadlines, notes, provide scoring and feedback, and more.
These checklists are provided to help you quickly determine if the requirements are being met for each of your student’s projects.
- Annotated Bibliography Checklist (For more information click here.)
- Documentary Checklist
- Exhibit Checklist
- Performance Checklist
- Research Paper Checklist
- Website Checklist
Virtual Contest Category Submission Guidelines
*Paper and Website entries are submitted the usual way via the registration system.
- Exhibit Category Virtual Contest Submission Checklist–Explains what must be submitted in the Exhibit category for a virtual competition.
- NHD’s Virtual Exhibit Builder Template Example–Provides students an template for their virtual exhibit if they would rather not build an exhibit and then take pictures of the physical exhibit.
- NHD’s Physical Exhibit to Virtual Contest Submission Examples–The example show how a student can turn their physical exhibit into a virtual one. Example 1 & Example 2
- Suggested NHD Virtual Exhibit Software–Various programs and the pros and cons are discussed.
- Suggested NHD Documentary Submission Platforms–Various platforms that can be used to save the project and then submit it to the student registration page are discussed.
- 2020-2021 Virtual Performance Video Guidelines–Explains how students record their performance and all that entails.
- Blank NHD Performance Companion Worksheet–(word document) The Individual or Group will fill out one of these companion worksheets to submit with their project. There is an example on how to fill this out if students, it is the next item on this list.
- Example of A Completed NHD Performance Companion Worksheet–This demonstrates how students need to fill out the companion worksheet that they will submit with their project.
- Suggested NHD Performance Recording Platforms–Various recording platforms that can be used to record the project and then submit it to the student registration page are discussed
The Texas State Library & Archives Commission put together a great website just for Texas History Day students! To visit this external site click here!
Here is a couple to help students with their research using a fun research guide.
(go to external sites)
Find resources to help implement National History Day in your classroom. This site contains classroom resources, links to research sites to help students get started, as well as resources to help teachers bring primary sources into their classroom every day.
NHD Student Page click here
NHD Teacher Page click here
Although students are encouraged to choose a topic that will interest them, we have provided some sample topics in this worksheet to help get them started.
History Day Success in Five Steps
Danny Corbett of Copperas Cove Junior High offered the following observations at a History Day workshop for his fellow teachers, and he has graciously agreed to let us republish them.